What should a port do if 10.4 is not supported any more?

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Tue May 29 07:21:49 PDT 2012

Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> MacPorts 2.1.1 still works fine on Tiger and up.
>
> We're just no longer distributing installers for it? The site indicates Leopard is the only legacy platform with installers, implying Tiger can't install MacPorts.

I'ld say that 10.5 Leopard is a safe bet.

10.5 Leopard will run on almost all PPC systems - even those not
officially supported by Apple. I've personally installed 10.5 Leopard
many times on un-supported hardware ; I've even seen it running on a 500
MHz PowerBook without any problems ;-)

In my opinion, anybody still running on 10.4 Tiger ought to seriously
consider upgrading to 10.5 Leopard even if their hardware is officially
un-supported.

:-)
--
Bjarne D Mathiesen