difficulties with MythTV on a MacMini1.1

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Nov 5 05:26:32 PST 2012

At 8:10 AM -0600 11/5/12, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On Nov 4, 2012, at 15:00, Jim Ham <jimham at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>>  I'm having trouble getting Myth to compile on my MacMini1.1 (mid
>>006).  This is an Intel Core Duo machine with 2G RAM and lots of
>>disk space. OSX 10.6.8
>>
>>  I run the command "sudo port install mythtv-core.25." All goes
>>well until the script tries to install myth itself, then it stops
>>with the message:
>>
>>  --->  Computing dependencies for mythtv-core.25
>>  --->  Building mythtv-core.25
>>  Error: org.macports.build for port mythtv-core.25 returned:
>>command execution failed
>>  Please see the log file for port mythtv-core.25 for details:
>>
>>/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv-core.25/mythtv-core.25/main.log
>>  To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>>     http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>>  Error: Processing of port mythtv-core.25 failed
>>
>>  I've attached the log. Any suggestions?
>
>The error in the log is:
>
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c: In function 'filter_line_mmx2':
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c:372: error: can't find a register in
>>class 'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading 'asm'
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c:380: error: can't find a register in
>>class 'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading 'asm'
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c:372: error: 'asm' operand has
>>impossible constraints
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c:372: error: 'asm' operand has
>>impossible constraints
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c:380: error: 'asm' operand has
>>impossible constraints
>>  :info:build filter_yadif.c:380: error: 'asm' operand has
>>impossible constraints
>>  :info:build make[2]: *** [filter_yadif.o] Error 1
>
>It looks like this assembly-language code is not compatible with the
>processor in your Mac mini. Specifically it looks like the code is
>trying to use more processor registers than your processor has
>available. That's according to this page I found with a quick search:
>
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8275859/error-cant-find-a-register-in-class-general-regs-while-reloading-asm
>
>Only the first series of Intel Macs used the 32-bit Core processor;
>all the others use 64-bit processors, and 64-bit Intel processors
>have a lot more registers.
>
>You should report this problem to the developers of mythtv so they can fix it.
>
>A solution might be to tell mythtv to not use assembly code. I'm not
>sure what configure arguments might need to be added to do that.

Thanks for digging that up, Ryan.  I know there is a configure flag
to not use Yasm--but I think these are in-line assembler commands.
I'll have to check if/how to disable.

In case I need to, how does one check the specific processor model in
the portfile?  Could you point me to some sample code?

Craig