Ports having adduser

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at macports.org
Fri Nov 9 23:24:19 PST 2012

On 10.11.2012, at 9.03, Andrea D'Amore <and.damore at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Wahlstedt Jyrki <jwa at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Some of these ports are more or less obsolete, I recognise old postgresql to
>> be such (new installs don't get those), as well as mysql4/5. So, how many of
>> these ports are active, really?
>
> Active has a specific meaning in mp, so the answer is: as many ports
> among those are active as you installed (circa, since you could have
> deactivated some).
>
> But I'm not sure to get the point, are you trying to "spring clean"
> ports' tree by spotting out old software?
>

> --
> Andrea)

Hi,
a while ago there was some discussion related to user handling, so as this 'adduser …' is the old way to do it, I just checked, how many ports there were really still having it.
This serves also slightly as a check, whether some ports are obsoleted. There are two sides in this 'active' thing, port development and port deployment. I looked here at the other side, seeing active as an opposite of something undeveloped or unmaintained. At some point it could be a good idea to drop some ports, e.g. I'd say postgresql7 is perhaps a candidate in my list being undeveloped upstream a long time already.

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780 6366 EFD9 139C C386