mpich3 -> mpich rename opinions?

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri Nov 16 19:47:08 PST 2012

Again for anyone joining in, these gyrations are due to upstream naming
changes and trying to minimize user confusion. There was once MPICH, and
then there was MPICH2, and now there is once again MPICH (v3.0).

For clarity below:
 * Upstream package names in CAPS
 * Port names in lowercase

My current plan (after more discussions with MPICH developers) is to soon:

0) Make sure gnudatalanguage and any others I missed compile fine with
mpich2 (MPICH2 v1.5) (It sounds like Sean has already confirmed this for
gnudatalanguage.)
1) Move mpich to be the same codebase as mpich2 (MPICH2 v1.5)
2) Create mpich-devel as mpich (MPICH v3.0rc1)

And once MPICH v3.0 is released:

0) Move mpich to be MPICH v3.0 (mpich-devel will match / track HEAD)
1) Set mpich3 to be 'replaced_by' mpich
2) Test other dependencies as time / motivation permits and migrate to
mpich (now at MPICH v3.0)
3) Set mpich2 to be 'replaced_by' mpich once there are no dependencies left.

 -- Eric