mpich3 -> mpich rename opinions?

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Sat Nov 17 06:01:26 PST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 12:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> By the way, if upstream prefers the all-caps name "MPICH", feel free to change the port name to uppercase. The MacPorts base bug that made all-lowercase port names preferable has been fixed for several years.

But please do it in two commits: renaming files/directories so that only the capitalization changes causes issues with SCMs on case-insensitive filesystems (git-svn I know has issues, in the past plain svn did as well but I think maybe that got fixed in the last few years?).  Whenever someone makes a commit like this I have to create a case-sensitive .dmg, move my repo there, synch to get past the rename, then move it back to its normal home on a case insensitive filesystem.

On this subject, since the build-bots are on case sensitive filesystems I gather, is this now a supported configuration?  In the past it caused me all sorts of issues I didn't have time to fix myself and others weren't jumping to fix because I was the one doing something unsupported, so I gave up and made my homedir (where portfiles live) and /opt/local case-insensitive again...

Thanks,
Eric