Variant Evaluation

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Oct 3 11:45:35 PDT 2012

Think I just ran across an interesting bug.

I have my default variants setup to avoid +x11-related mess, instead opting to stay on +quartz. I needed to test something with +x11 today so I had installed some packages, like cairo, as +x11 -quartz to override the defaults.

Now, I'm doing clean --all installed and port bailed on cairo. It seems the variants I chose to install were allowed to override the defaults but when I go in to clean the chosen variants are instead said to be in conflict.

Error: cairo: Variant no_x11 conflicts with x11
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

$ port installed cairo
  cairo @1.12.2_1+no_x11+quartz (active)
  cairo @1.12.2_1+quartz+x11

$ port variants cairo
cairo has the variants:
(+)no_x11: Legacy compatibility variant
     * conflicts with opengl x11 x11_xcb
   opengl: Add OpenGL graphics interface
     * conflicts with no_x11
     * requires x11
(+)quartz: Support for native Mac OS X graphics
   universal: Build for multiple architectures
(-)x11: Enable X11 support
     * conflicts with no_x11
   x11_xcb: Legacy compatibility variant
     * conflicts with no_x11