[98388] trunk/dports/databases

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Oct 5 09:27:45 PDT 2012

At 9:03 AM -0700 10/5/12, Blair Zajac wrote:
>On Oct 5, 2012, at 5:59 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>>  At 12:02 PM +0200 10/5/12, MK-MacPorts at techno.ms wrote:
>>>  > Failing that, yes, you'd need to continue to specify a
>>>changeset. I think you can do it this way:
>>>  > github.setup        darkrose csvdb
>>>afad8eca960af3b61b0a8ee3e1c3e0db4cc5c8f5
>>>  > version             0.5.1
>>>  Yeah, just a minute ago I figured that.
>>
>>  Note that you don't need the full Git hash.  I believe that the
>>first 7 characters is sufficient but I use 8.  (Eg "afad8eca".)
>>Makes paths a little less unwieldy!
>
>Given we're moving to ever longer checksums in our Portfiles, it
>seems best to use the full sha.
>
>BTW, what happens if there is a duplicate truncated sha?

I can't find an 'official' reference for it, but I believe GitHub
says that 7 characters are unique (7**26).  Anyway, if it were not
unique, the MacPorts checksums would alert the user.  Seems safe to
me.

I also use the short hash as part of the full version string for the
port since it identifies the last commit included from the branch.
This may or may not matter to other ports.

Craig