apr binary package misconfigured?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Oct 15 06:21:18 PDT 2012

On Oct 15, 2012, at 5:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2012, at 07:16, Titus von Boxberg wrote:
>
>> Am 15.10.2012 13:47, schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
>>>
>>> I agree generally with what jmr wrote earlier: any port not respecting the value of configure.compiler should be made to do so. That will solve the problem.
>>
>> Would that solve the apr issue?
>>
>> I thought that the problem was caused by the buildbot
>> having installed an older Xcode than my computer.
>>
>> When I run port -v configure apr on my machine it says
>> "checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/clang -E"
>>
>> So apr does seem to respect the value of configure.compiler?
>
> apr does respect configure.compiler, but it bakes the discovered value into its apr-config script, which other programs, like serf1, then later use to determine the compiler. So it is serf1 and maybe other ports that use apr that need to be fixed to respect configure.compiler.

I wouldn't say serf1, or any other port, is broken by trusting apr-config's compiler, that should be a correct value.

Fixing it in serf1 isn't the real fix either.   It's one thing for us to modify serf1, but people that have closed source, commercial code, like I do, that compiles and links against apr shouldn't need to fix or change apr-config's results, it should be a good value.  So I like the idea of post-activate tweaking apr-config, it solves all of the issues (that I'm aware of).

Blair