apr binary package misconfigured?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Oct 15 06:56:40 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-16 00:27 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I just don't understand for what purpose apr installs a program that offers information about what compiler was used. It's not apr's business to do that. Or I would say no other program should care what compiler apr was compiled with.

It is apr's business to offer information about how to build, including
a usable compiler. Remembering the compiler used to build apr itself is
a simple but unrobust approach, given that it doesn't work in the
general case. Even when building everything locally, a user could still
build apr with Xcode 3.2, then install Xcode 4.2. And in more general
binary distribution scenarios, it seems like you wouldn't be able to
rely on any particular compiler being present.

- Josh