How to depend on a variant (or do I want subports)?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Oct 31 14:05:03 PDT 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:
>> Which is very unwanted on the other hand, since it is so sticky, i.e. will have to be increased forever once it has been added to a port file, right?!
>> So, it's best to find a way around epoch!
>
> Apart from reinstalling very large packages, are there reasons to avoid rebuilding on any change rather than just checking epoch_version_revision?

Way back when, we decided to use revision for 'significant' changes to a portfile (instead of automating it). IIRC the reason back then was to prevent everyone from having to rebuild for something like a whitespace change.

> If it doesn't need to be linear then we could just use a hash of the Portfile to track if anything changed. Anything at all.

or the revision of the repo ... but I think there is still some value of having revision decoupled from the contents of the portfile (especially for systems or individual ports for which we aren't providing binaries).

--
Daniel J. Luke