Geant4 - outdated and not maintained

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:58:51 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried updating the Portfile yourself ? looking at
>
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/science/geant4/Portfile
>
> if you are lucky it maybe just be a case of updating the geant4 version and
> data file versions, as per
>
> http://geant4.cern.ch/support/download.shtml
>
> If it works you could submit an update yourself. I believe if a maintainer
> remains unresponsive for some time, someone else could then submit it for
> you.

I would like to use the CMake-based method to update the port, not
just replace the old system. Also Gate 6.2 would be more happy if
Geant4 was installed with CMake.

I have a working CMake-based port for Geant4 9.5 (it's in the ticket),
but it doesn't support all the options of the currently included port
(yet, I need to figure out how to translate each single option to
CMake options, and there are lots of options).

The second reason why simply replacing the version wouldn't help (me)
is because there is no support for Qt4 in the current port and Qt4 is
one of the crucial features, at least to me.

> Regarding having multiple versions, one thing you would have to decide would
> be if you would want to allow for more than one version to be installed at
> once, and looking at the Portfile I can see at least a few things that
> wouldn't work now.

Which ones for example? (I see "/opt/local/include/Geant4", but I'll
try to find a way to install such files into version-specific folder.)

As soon as I update my suggestion for 9.5 I'll ask for some feedback.
If nothing else, I would need some help with "subports" for different
versions (in case that would make sense).

Regarding the other feedback: my suggestion would be to start
providing different versions from 9.5 on (and possibly older ones on
user request).

Mojca