[97320] trunk/dports/graphics/librsvg/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Sep 3 13:29:29 PDT 2012

On 2012-9-4 06:16 , Andrea D'Amore wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Jeremy Lavergne
> <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:
>>> Should libpng be listed as direct dependency of librsvg to avoid
>>> breaking in future upgrade?
>> Yes because it will make finding dependencies much, much easier.
>
> I remember some rule of thumb about not listing as direct dependency
> something that is known to be a recursive dependency, but actually
> couldn't find anything relevant in guide or wiki. Is there such a
> guideline at all?

It's a rule of thumb, sure, because otherwise many dependency lists
would be huge. It shouldn't be followed if there's a good reason not to
in a particular case.

Of course, ideally all cases of breakage from library major version
changes would be autodetected, and adding such explicit deps would be
unnecessary.

- Josh