migration handling

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Sep 13 08:21:45 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Jeremy Lavergne
<jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> It could be nice to have ryan's script in there, however we don't necessarily know where the output file will get stashed. That'd be a bit more tricky, I think. And of course, convincing novices on piping or specifying the file input so they can be reinstalled... it's best to leave that on the site I think, unless we can make it a pretty rigid environment so the file is always stored at a set location.

Absolutely, I wouldn't want this to involve piping at all. Couldn't it
just be stored within the MacPorts prefix? If it needs to be written
out at all that is; if 'selfupdate' is enough to carry an installation
across an OS upgrade (I could have sworn this was enough), couldn't
that data just be held in memory? Or referenced from the existing
databases? Things could even be further restricted to only supporting
an /opt/local prefix if that makes things easier if a file is
required.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448