migration handling

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Sep 13 09:46:07 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Jeremy Lavergne
<jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> I think we suggest uninstall rather than deactivate, so that removes everything from sqlite db; it won't know about those ports' requested status any longer. However, we could make a temporary table that lists the requested-after-migration ports to reinstall.

Yeah, a temp table sounds good.

What about the reinstall MacPorts part? I could have sworn that
'selfupdate' was good enough; that the installers were system
OS-dependent, but running 'selfupdate' got you to an OS-apathetic
installation. But, the migration instructions state reinstalling is
necessary. Is that still the case? If so, the migration phase would
need to write out the table and then instruct the user to reinstall.
It culd then pick up from that temp table on first run. Or as part of
the installer, though rebuilding a bunch of ports would be lengthy for
an installer.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448