Mountain Lion asking for Xcode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 22 00:34:30 PDT 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 10:43, Daniel wrote:

> I've got command-line tools installed for xcode (https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action#) , but I keep getting errors saying xcode isn't installed and I need to run xcode-select. Shouldn't it be sufficient just to have the command-line tools?
>
> So far I've just ignored the warnings, but the zlib port won't even install.
>
> :error:extract org.macports.extract for port zlib returned: unable to find Xcode
> :debug:extract Error code: NONE
> :debug:extract Backtrace: unable to find Xcode
>
> is full xcode really necessary?

Full Xcode is not necessary for zlib, but because it is a port that many many other ports depend on, I placed an Xcode check in the zlib port years ago to ensure that MacPorts users have their Xcode installed properly. This has eliminated many tickets we would otherwise have had to handle. Please set up your Xcode installation properly. It will save you problems later on for those ports that do need Xcode.