wxWidgets vs. wxWidgets-devel: a proposal

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:23:08 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Wahlstedt Jyrki wrote:
> On 22.9.2012, at 10.32, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> So under this plan, we would rename wxWidgets to wxWidgets28, we would rename wxWidgets-devel to wxWidgets210 or wxWidgets30, and we'd update all ports' dependencies according to the needs of each individual port. The port names wxWidgets and wxWidgets-devel would be retired a year later.
>>
> This is probably a good thing to do. I'm in favour of moving the current branchless port name to …28, and the current -devel port to …30. The correct and meaningful time to do that would be, when 3.0 is released in some form (the stable port could be moved earlier).

It would be the correct time to move to 3.0 when it gets released, but
given the circumstances and the fact that 2.8 doesn't compile as
64-bit, I would vote to switch to 2.9 by default *before* 3.0 actually
gets released. If nothing else, there would be enough time to report
bugs and get them included into 3.0 before release.

What I'm not sure of is whether or not it would be better to call the
new port wxWidgets or wxWidgets30. How are you planning to call
wxWidgets 3.1 once 3.0 gets released - wxWidgets31 or wxWidgets32? How
will the options in ports be called? "port install gnuplot
+wxwidgets31"? And when 3.2 gets released the option wxwidgets31 will
be replaced_by wxwidgets32?

>> Note that we also have ports wxWidgets26 and wxWidgets-python. Perhaps they can be considered in this overhaul as well.
>
> I guess wxWidgets26 can be dropped after the current stable is the previous stable. I remember someone having made the request in the past for this port, but I'd assume the package requiring 2.6 series is also updated.

The wxWidgets-python port would have to be part of modifications,
while as far as wxWidgets26 goes, it doesn't even get past the
patching step, so I would also suggest to delete it. If anyone was
actually using it, at least some bug would have been reported in the
meantime.

--->  Applying patches to wxWidgets26
--->  Applying patch.MoreFilesX.h.diff
/usr/bin/patch: **** rejecting file name with ".." component:
../src/mac/carbon/morefilex/MoreFilesX.h
Command failed:  cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_wxWidgets26/wxWidgets26/work/wxWidgets-2.6.4/build"
&& /usr/bin/patch -p0 <
'/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/graphics/wxWidgets26/files/patch.MoreFilesX.h.diff'
Exit code: 2
Error: org.macports.patch for port wxWidgets26 returned: command
execution failed
Warning: targets not executed for wxWidgets26: org.macports.activate
org.macports.patch org.macports.configure org.macports.build
org.macports.destroot org.macports.install

(I have a slightly longer reply pending to finish it and send it.)

Mojca