wxWidgets vs. wxWidgets-devel: a proposal

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Sep 25 08:25:33 PDT 2012

Ok, I presume we can keep the port names and only issue wxWidgets28 when
30 becomes stable. So I won't be pushing for any wxWidgets port renaming.

There are two issues, then:

1. Some wxWidgets-using projects abandoned support for 2.8.

2. Even for projects that support both 2.8 and 2.9, like, say wxMaxima, the users
may want to compile it for 64 bits -- IMHO such support should be default. It's
a bit irksome when simply installing wxMaxima pulls in a bazillion universal ports.

So, here's what I propose:

1. For projects that abandoned support for 2.8, a separate package will track the
most recent version that supported 2.8. For fityk, we'd have fityk09 depending on
wxWidgets 2.8 (currently, or wxWidgets28 when that port materializes, that's
when wxWidgets releases 3.0).

2. For projects that support both 2.8 and 2.9, I'd suggest switching to wxWidgets
2.9 (called wxWidgets-devel at the moment), and adding wxWidgets28 as a variant.
Someone who runs into specific issues can then use 2.8 and be limited to 32 bit builds.
I don't think that 2.9 is, in practice, any less stable than 2.8.

One has to be careful with what "stable" means. wxWidgets-devel may not be "stable", but many projects
are not maintaining old branches that last supported wxWidgets 2.8, or are testing less on wxWidgets 2.8.

Cheers, Kuba