macports vs. freebsd ports syntax and functionality differences (only to satisfy my curiosity)

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Thu Sep 27 07:58:43 PDT 2012

I have a question to satisfy my curiosity only. A while ago I've seen that a ports system was the way to get software on freebsd -- this was on a server my friend administers.

Is the port system very similar between freebsd and macports, or are those things similar only in name and are really completely separate implementations? For example, would a "benign" portfile from MacPorts work with freebsd? Do they use tcl as well?

Cheers, Kuba

PS. Again, this is only to satisfy my curiosity, I'm not a freebsd user, nor do I want to start any flamewars about who is better, as that's not the point here.