Removing a port

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 05:34:48 PDT 2013

On 4 April 2013 14:05, Aljaž Srebrnič <a2piratesoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/apr/2013, at 13:58, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The port is not
>> working well at all and causing issues for users, so I'd much rather
>> just remove it as soon as possible.
>
> Well, what about trying to fix it? if you really want to remove it, I suggest you take a look at the obsolete PortGroup.

Obviously, it'd be great if it could be fixed, and I tried fixing it
before, but it's all quite complicated - the issue is that the tar
ball includes some dependencies, so those should really be removed,
and the Makefile would need to be re-written to allow the custom
compiler and linking path, etc. The package doesn't follow the
standard 'configure' method for linux packages, which complicates
things further. Development is not very active, which means that it's
not easy to submit a patch upstream. On the other hand, the only
important part of the package is a bunch of C files, so maybe there's
a way to essentially create a new tar file that has a configure script
and uses MacPorts for the dependencies. If someone would like to help
with this, then I would be very grateful, but otherwise, I will likely
have to remove the port.

Thanks,
Tom