wxWidgets again

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Aug 11 08:18:57 PDT 2013

Hi,

After some playing with wxWidgets, this is where I managed to come.
Instead of the following ports (each conflicting with each other):
- wxgtk (2.8)
- wxWidgets (2.8)
- wxWidgets-python (2.8, with gtk)
- wxWidgets30 (2.9)
- wxWidgets-devel (2.9)

I created a bunch of ports that can be installed independent from each other:
- wxWidgets-2.8 (2.8; with gtk)
   - (planned subport) wxgtk-2.8
- wxWidgets-3.0
- wxPython-3.0

The port "wxWidgets-python" is not really needed. The only difference
in functionality of the current port is that it provides gtk, but that
can already be provided by wxWidgets-2.8 (or its planned subport
wxgtk-2.8).

The port wxPython-3.0 is there for one single reason: because releases
of wxWidgets and wxPython are often out-of-sync, but the ports are
otherwise independent.

The port wxgtk can go and can be replaced with a subport of
wxWidgets-2.8. I managed to compile wxWidgets also with a flag
--enable-graphics_ctx and if it's compiled with GTK2/X11, it can
easily be compiled on any Mac OS X, also as 64-bit, not just on 10.6
and lower as 32-bit. I tried compiling with GTK2/Quartz, but I believe
that more work would be needed to get there since wxWidgets make some
weird assumptions (just as an example: even when compiling with GTK on
Mac, wxWidgets don't add OpenGL flags from mesa, assuming that those
are not needed).

I need help with coming up with a slightly better PortGroup, but I
would like to proceed as follows:
- all dependencies that work with 2.9 should depend on 2.9
- all dependencies that only work with 2.8 should depend on 2.8, ...
- BUT: I would like to offer the choice (an extra variant) to allow
the user to switch between 32-bit Carbon variant and possibly 64-bit
or universal GTK/X11 variant of wxWidgets 2.8, so that all these ports
would also compile on OS X >= 10.7

I tried compiling FileZilla. It compiles fine on 10.7 as 64-bit, but
apparently it ends up with
  /opt/local/bin/filezilla
  /opt/local/bin/fzputtygen
  /opt/local/bin/fzsftp
along with plenty of other files as opposed to FileZilla.app. But at
least it works. Similar "problems" might arise with other ports.

My question is: how would you call these port variants to switch
between Carbon and GTK/X11 of wxWidgets 2.8?

Mojca