wxPython versus wxWidgets

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Aug 14 06:29:31 PDT 2013

Other questions:

+ Why set "dist_subdir ${distname}/${version}"?  Why not just
${distname}?  The former is -not- the way this is done in MacPorts
currently and traditionally, except in the case where a stealth update
happens.

+ For graphics/wxPython*, why not use the binary already found at
python/wxPython-* instead of putting it in its own location?  wxPython
is, primarily, for the Python interface to wx, so why not let it reside
in the python dist_subdir?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013, at 12:56 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Why not? (I don't know gnuradio at all and I didn't test it yet, so
> I'm just curious why this wouldn't work [for reasons other than the
> confusing name].)

GNU Radio generally needs to be told the names of executables that are
non-standard locations (e.g., even for Sphinx, which is installed with
the python version number appended, I have to specify the full
executable path and name). You stated previously that, once you're done,
the wx-config executable will be installed in its own unique location
for the specific install. When I install your branch's wxPython-3.0, I
find that, indeed, wx-config is installed as
"${prefix}/Library/Frameworks/wxWidgets.framework/Versions/wxPython/2.9/bin/wx-config",
which I guarantee you will not be found by GNU Radio's CMake configure
scripts by defaults. This is an easy change to the GNU Radio Portfile;
I'll push the change when I get a chance in the next couple of days.

BTW> wxPython-3.0 did install correctly for me.  I have not tried it yet
beyond looking at what is installed where.  Hopefully I'll find some
time in the next couple of days to do so.

> It's definitely suboptimal, but it's the best that I came up with so
> far. (To me it's also a bit confusing that wxWidgets-python fetches
> the sources from wxPython and not from wxWidgets.)

The current wxPython-3.0 could be named, instead,
wxWidgets-from-wxPython-3.0, which is even more awkward than
wxWidgets-python, but it is, at least, "truth in advertising" and very
distinctive.  Not simple (one of your conditions), but then the only
time it will be installed is when installing py-wxpython-3.0 so I don't
see it as too big of a deal what the name is.

> Correction to the description [for wxPython-3.0] is definitely needed. I'm just not a
> very creative writer, so I copy-pasted to start with (I didn't bother
> too much since it didn't affect functionality in any way, but a proper
> description is definitely needed to avoid even more confusion).

Cut and paste from wxWidgets*, then add that this source comes from
wxPython distfile.  Not difficult nor greatly creative, but sufficient
IMHO. - MLD