error on build through MacPorts but not on manual build (pkg-config problem?)

Davide Liessi dali43 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:50:51 PDT 2013

Hi everyone.
I am trying to write a Portfile for python-poppler-qt4
(https://code.google.com/p/python-poppler-qt4/).

When I try to install using 'sudo port install
py27-python-poppler-qt4' I get this warning during the build phase:
"Can't determine version of poppler-qt4"
and then I get a bunch of errors.
If I build manually with 'python setup.py --no-user-cfg build' I don't
get that warning and the build ends without errors.

I also noticed that some gcc compiler options are missing when
building through MacPorts, namely "-I/opt/local/include/poppler/qt4
-I/opt/local/include/poppler".

Both the version of poppler-qt4 and the "-I" options are determined by
setup.py using pkg-config with --modversion, --libs and --cflags
options.

Apparently pkg-config can see poppler-qt4 only when I build manually
and not when I build through MacPorts.

Does anybody know why and how can I solve the problem?

I attach the Portfile, the main.log file of the MacPorts build, and
the Terminal log of the manual build.

The output of pkg-config when I run it from Terminal:
$ pkg-config --modversion poppler-qt4
0.24.0
$ pkg-config --cflags poppler-qt4
-I/opt/local/include/poppler/qt4 -I/opt/local/include/poppler
$ pkg-config --libs poppler-qt4
-L/opt/local/lib -lpoppler-qt4

Thanks to everyone.
Best wishes.