py-poppler variants vs separate ports

Sterling Smith smithsp at fusion.gat.com
Wed Aug 14 22:01:27 PDT 2013

Development team,

Davide Liessi just posed a question earlier today about creating a port for python-poppler-qt4.  I have recently submitted a Portfile for a port named py-poppler [1], to install python/glib bindings to poppler [2].  While I think that it is fine for the two ports to exist separately, I wasn't sure if this was a case of needing a single port with separate variants.  Also, we should try to avoid collisions in filespace; here are the contents of my py-poppler (sub)port
{{{
$ port contents py-poppler
Port py-poppler contains:
  /opt/local/share/doc/py-poppler/README
$ port contents py27-poppler
Port py27-poppler contains:
  /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/poppler.la
  /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/poppler.so
}}}

Thanks,
Sterling

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40080