Subversion 1.7 and 1.8

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Aug 19 14:04:44 PDT 2013

On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:56 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Jim Jagielski <jimjag at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is the proposed subversion17 port (updated for svn 1.7.11)...
>
> It makes no sense to implement this as a separate port.

except that I'm not going to maintain a legacy 1.7 port version (for subversion and whatever bindings ports, and whatever else is needed).

> I am currently working on moving the various Subversion bindings ports to be subports of the subversion port. Once Daniel signs off on that, I will add subports for Subversion 1.7 that do not conflict with the main 1.8 ports.

I'm happy to move the subversion and bindings ports to use subports (and I've been happy to see that you're working on it) - I haven't had time to dedicate to doing that. I'm not going to include any 1.7 versions in the main port, though.

As far as the port that was added to this thread, that's not a way to get a port into macports.

As I said before:

- If you have commit access, go ahead and make your 1.7-based port or ports and commit them (but you shouldn't need me to tell you this)
- if you /don't/ have commit access, you need to open a ticket, attach your portfile or portfiles, and then get the attention of a committer to review and add them

I've also mentioned (a few times), that this effort would likely be better spent getting git-svn working with subversion 1.8.
--
Daniel J. Luke