boost compilation problems & hugin-app: which compiler to use/what to do?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Aug 21 06:14:25 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2013, at 17:10, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> When trying to play with different wxWidgets dependencies I also took
>> a look at hugin-app which seems to be broken.
>>
>> The port has two maintainers, but p.schmiedeskamp's email bounces and
>> Harry van der Wolf isn't a Mac user any more, but was willing to still
>> help me a bit.
>>
>> The problem is that I'm unable to get boost working (boost itself
>> compiles, but hugin-app doesn't when including sources from boost).
>> Below is an example of an error (it complains about deprecated use of
>> signals, but that's not related: the same errors are thrown
>> elsewhere).
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for a cure for this? (Switching to
>> macports-gcc-4.7 didn't help.)
>
> Boost typically changes in backward-incompatible ways with each version. This version of hugin-app was probably developed for an earlier version of boost. See if a newer version of hugin-app exists, or if not, if the developer is at least aware of the problem.

This doesn't seem to depend on the version of hugin-app. I actually
did try to compile the trunk/master version, but the error remains.
And the error doesn't seem to be related to the usage of boost. It
looks like it's sufficient to just include boost headers (together
with some other apple headers which most probably trigger the
problem).

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

> A few days ago you got in contact with Matthieu Desile who is now
> maintaining the hugin.app. He gave you a patch and additional
> information.

Yes. The patch actually avoided another compile error, but not this one.

> Have you discussed this with him?

Not yet, but I need to. He said that he didn't see that error yet, but
he's also using a different compiler (he mentioned gcc 4.6, but as I
said, using gcc-macports-4.7 didn't solve the problem for me). Maybe
he was also using some different version of boost. I'll try to
investigate further.

> I know I'm still registered for this app but I asked about a year ago
> if someone else could take over as I left OS X and returned to Linux.

I opened a ticket at https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40204. After a
few days I can remove both of you as maintainers. I hope that someone
will step in.

Mojca