my rsync is broken, anyone got a leopard one?

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Aug 24 10:28:29 PDT 2013

On Aug 24, 2013, at 10:10, jlm at justinfront.net wrote:

> Jeremy
>
> My cd drive has not worked for most of the life of this machine.  It seems a common suggestion to reinstall leopard when there is a problem, as far as I am concerned that is completely impractical I doubt I even still have the CD's and there is too much in the way that it's setup, and not something I would consider, seriously I reinstall windows when it breaks... macs you can normally fix, I am more likely to find an alternative approach to macport than reinstall my system. Maybe installing linux instead when it gets too hard to keep this leopard alive.

Well the issue here is that you deleted system critical data, replacing it with your own copy that is not compatible.  You can certainly fix that without reinstalling the OS by replacing your versions with the correct versions.  That is why I suggested you get libiconv.2.dylib off of the install media.  If you don't know the extent to which you broke the OS, then your best bet is to reinstall.

Installing linux is not the magic bullet for something like this, as it has the exact same problem.  If you replace /usr/lib/libiconv.so on your linux box with one that is not binary compatible, things won't work there either.

> Can anyone suggest how I can fix libiconv-24 or what ever the files are, is no one running a leopard that can send me privately some replacement files?

First you should figure out how you broke it, so you don't do it again.  Where did the replacement come from?

> Or suggest how I might 'upgrade' this aspect of my system?

You should not install anything other than Apple-provided content over your OS bits.  The problem here is that you did 'upgrade' it with another copy of libiconv.  Where did you get it?

I'll send you the binaries from Leopard, but you need to figure out how the bad binaries got there and the extent to which you may have broken your system (as this may be the tip of the iceberg).