Deleting ports: bittorent, py-dsv & spe

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Aug 27 09:00:10 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> Not that I think it has anyone using it given that it only offers py24,
> but you could just remove the wx variant from py-dsv, especially since
> it doesn't do anything except add a dependency.

In reality I don't know how it was supposed to be written properly.
The program is indeed installed the same way whether or not wxPython
is available, but one part of the program (some gui wizard) only works
if wxPython is available when the program is being run. So dependency
is actually a runtime one.

Anyway, the syntax seems so ancient that I had to fix a whole lot of
code just to make it recognize that wxPython exists and to actually do
anything (but it kept throwing other errors which I'm not motivated to
fix). OK, I admit that I only tested with Python 2.7 ...

It says:
   Requires Python 2.0 or later
   Wizards tested with wxPython 2.2.5/NT 4.0, 2.3.2/Win2000 and
Linux/GTK (RedHat 7, 8, 9)
and I believe that it might have worked with wxPython 2.2 and Python
2.0. But it doesn't seem that it would work now even though it would
probably require trivial type of changes in most cases if developer
was still interested in maintaining the program.

So while I can remove the dependency, my question about deleting the
port is still valid.

> I know spe does work with 2.8, since I checked when moving it off of
> py-wxpython26 in r53628.

Since you know what to check: are you willing to check whether it
works with wxWidgets 2.9 and Python 2.7?

> I don't use spe myself, so my changes you see
> in its history were prompted by users asking for them.

I see the comment that someone requested the update 3 years ago. What
one doesn't know is why that (or another) user didn't request update
to 2.7 yet.

And I still believe that it would be nice to have a special PortGroup
that would ask the users to report if they use a particular software,
and if there was no such report in more than a year, everyone would be
sure that deleting the port is safe.

Mojca