Deleting ports: bittorent, py-dsv & spe

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Aug 27 10:41:25 PDT 2013

On 2013-8-28 02:00 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> And I still believe that it would be nice to have a special PortGroup
> that would ask the users to report if they use a particular software,
> and if there was no such report in more than a year, everyone would be
> sure that deleting the port is safe.

That wouldn't work very well as the message would only be seen when
installing the port, not by users who already have it installed.

<https://trac.macports.org/browser/branches/gsoc11-statistics> has code
for reporting which ports are installed (among other things), and a web
app for displaying the stats. I think it should be reworked to install
the client side as a port, since it needs to be opt-in anyway, and then
you could just do 'sudo port load portstats' (or whatever we call it) to
have it automatically report at regular intervals.

But that still only gives us a sample. Unfortunately there's no way to
know if *nobody* is using a port.

- Josh