Deleting ports: bittorent, py-dsv & spe

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed Aug 28 03:31:52 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 08:06:51PM +1000, Joshua Root wrote:
> There was a lengthy discussion on the list before, and the conclusion
> was that opt-out must be the default.

I cannot find this discussion. Did that happen earlier than GSoC '11? I
agree though that we should not collect any data without users'
permission. I merely proposed to have no default at all (which would
mean collecting no data, ofc) and remind the user until he has decided.

> Drawing attention to the feature *once* after new installs or after
> upgrading from a version that didn't support it would be OK.

Why can we not encourage users to opt-in more than once? I agree we
should leave users alone that have decided to opt-out, but users that
have not decided should be reminded periodically. If we're not at least
trying to get some data we can scrap the whole statistics branch
completely, because it will be useless.

--
Clemens Lang