rsync'ing symlinks

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 28 06:44:32 PDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 00:25, Blair Zajac wrote:

> I need the same patch for two ports (zeroc-ice35 and py-zeroc-ice35) and right now the patch file in py-zeroc-ice35 is a symlink to the one in zeroc-ice35.
>
> # port -v sync
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> receiving file list ... done
> ./
> skipping non-regular file "python/py-zeroc-ice35/files/patch-ice.cpp.config.Make.rules.Darwin.diff"
>
> Can we add syncing of symlinks to the rsync command?

That would involve changing the default rsync_options in macports.conf to include "-l", then releasing a new version of MacPorts, then hoping that no user had modified that setting.

I'm not sure if there are any security or other negative implications of using the "-l" option.

Generally we just copy the patch into each port where it's needed.

> One other question, does updating any file in a port directory, e.g. zeroc-ice35/, cause a rebuild, or just modifying the Portfile?

Only the Portfile.