Friendly talk

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 28 16:47:12 PDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 15:48, Marius Coțofană wrote:

> I have stumbled upon this [0]. It seems like the Homebrew guys
> are using MacPorts' name in a bad way, thus generating negative
> advertising for us.
>
> I believe we can have a talk with them and solve this little 'problem'.
> What do you think ?
>
> [0] - https://www.google.ro/search?q=homebrew

I consider it friendly rivalry. They take some ideas from us, we take some ideas from them. And Fink and other package managers too. We all have the same goal after all: help users install software. Competition from other package managers, especially for OS X, is good and keeps all of us innovating and improving.

We haven't responded officially to Homebrew's their tagline, but we might see if we could think up a clever phrase in the same vein and display it somewhere.