Host Versus MacPorts lib[std]c++ [was: Re: Fortran recipe]

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Aug 28 19:14:12 PDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 8:34 PM, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org>
wrote:
> What you wrote is what I meant to write. Maybe I did not succeed? Moving from MacPorts' libstdc++ (which is newer) -back- to Apple's libstdc++ (which is older) did not work; hence, no backwards compatibility from newer to older.

It has been pointed out to me that what I wrote above is not technically
correct, because "backwards compatibility" has a precise definition
which can only go from older to newer, not newer to older (which would
be "forwards compatible").  Fine; whatever.  I hope that we can all
agree that what we both wrote means the same thing: one can substitute
MacPorts' libstdc++ for Apple's libstdc++.  I hope that my technical
term misuse did not detract from the content of the message. - MLD