RFC: PATCH: cxx_runtime option for macports.conf [was: Re: Host Versus MacPorts lib[std]c++]

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Aug 29 10:55:26 PDT 2013

On Aug 29, 2013, at 7:12, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org> wrote:

> It seems to me like creating a
> branch (like what Mojca just did for the WX stuff) that sets
> "configure.cxxflags-append -stdlib=libc++" when compiling with clang,
> and "AS='clang -c -x assembler'" (or, whatever works) when compiling
> with GCC would be an interesting experiment.  Those of us interested in
> having a common C++ runtime could contribute to it, try to get as many
> ports as possible tested and working with this methodology.

I just threw this together.  It does not switch gcc's assembler as that is not really related and is something that should need to be handled by the gccXX ports.

Just set 'cxx_runtime libc++' in $prefix/etc/macports/macports.conf and rebuild everything that uses C++ (or just everything for good measure).   I'm going to give it a shot on a fresh Mountain Lion VM and fix issues as I find them.

Since this doesn't change anything by default, I'm inclined to push this to trunk, but I want to live on it for a while and get feedback first.