C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Dec 3 10:38:09 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 05:00:25PM +0000, Christopher Jones wrote:
> Is this really a good idea though. My recollection is, whilst not as
> bad as mixing libc++ and libstdc++ runtimes, mixing the two different
> libstd++ runtimes can still lead to problems…. ?

Under the constraints we have I think its the best solution possible.
Alternatives would be

 - Mark the port as broken on systems < darwin13 :(
 - Build a private copy of all dependencies of rethinkdb against
   macports libstdc++. Since that includes boost and a couple of other
   rather large ports, I don't think this is a feasible solution either.
 - Get Apple to ship a version of libstdc++ that supports C++11 on
   outdated OS releases
 - Get Apple to make libc++ the default stdlib on all releases that have
   libc++

None of those sound very appealing to me.

--
Clemens Lang