C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 3 13:55:08 PST 2013

On Dec 3, 2013, at 13:48, Christopher Jones wrote:

> For that last one, it is not necessary to have Apple make that decision. macPorts could decide to release the current trunk, and force the use of libc++ on systems older than OSX10.9. This of course would force all users to recompile all their ports, and probably is not a solution for all OSX releases, as I guess the older ones probably don’t have any runtime supporting c++11….

First we would need to write more code in base that could identify when ports are installed with a different C++ runtime than that selected in macports.conf, and rebuild those ports. Users will not know they need to rebuild ports after such a change (since no previous MacPorts release has made them do this, when not upgrading the OS), and if they don’t rebuild ports things will break.

I don’t think we record in the registry what C++ runtime was used to build a port. So we might have to scan all installed files to see what C++ runtime they link with.