[MacPorts] #41630: dmenu @4.5: new submission

Jean-Philippe Ouellet jpo at vt.edu
Wed Dec 4 05:24:39 PST 2013

On 12/4/13 4:12 AM, MacPorts wrote:
> #41630: dmenu @4.5: new submission
> -------------------------+--------------------------------
>   Reporter:  jpo@…       |      Owner:  macports-tickets@…
>       Type:  submission  |     Status:  new
>  Component:  ports       |    Version:  2.2.1
> Resolution:              |   Keywords:
>       Port:  dmenu       |
> -------------------------+--------------------------------
>
> Comment (by ryandesign@…):
>
>  Replying to [comment:2 jpo@…]:
>  > You'd only want to disable it if your x server complains about it (in
>  which case you'd know it's xinerama from the logs), and you'd definitely
>  want to be able to disable it
>
>  In what circumstances would the X server complain about this? How would I
>  for example reproduce such a complaint on my system?
>
>  > Am I not understanding something correctly?
>
>  I'm just trying to avoid the proliferation of unnecessary variants, so I'm
>  just trying to verify that this variant is actually needed in real-world
>  situations.

What would probably break it is bad configuration, and it works with the
default configuration, so I suppose it's fine to adopt the point of view
that if it's broken it's your fault and your responsibility to fix it.
Still though, I don't see the point of forcing it one way or the other
(forcing people to have working xinerama support, or forcing dmenu to be
built without support for it).

From a user's point of view I can't see why not having it as an option
would be desirable.

Is the reason for wanting to have less variants so that the buildbot has
less work to do or something?

I'm bringing this to the list instead of just replying in the ticket
because I'd like to better understand when it's appropriate to add
variants and when it isn't, and I think such a discussion would be worth
having on the mailing list archives (or really, I think it belongs
somewhere in section 4.4 of the guide) for better visibility instead of
just in some ticket that gets closed and forgotten.