C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 4 23:55:59 PST 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 18:32, Chris Jones wrote:

> I guess a version of libc++ from MacPorts would have the advantage it would allow the use of a complete c++11 implementation on systems where the host version is lacking.

Do we know which host versions are lacking?

> Could this be done by just making one of macports own clang compilers the default compiler... ?

No; clang (from MacPorts or Xcode or compiled by hand) will use the system’s C++ runtime, unless you tell it otherwise; same goes for llvm-gcc and Apple’s modified versions of gcc, regardless where you got them. The only compilers we have that automatically use their own C++ runtime are the FSF versions of gcc, and somehow I don’t think telling them to use a different C++ runtime would be very successful.