build.macports.org unavailable again

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 7 05:46:59 PST 2013

On Dec 1, 2013, at 17:01, Joshua Root wrote:

> Are the cleaners coming in every weekend and unplugging the server or
> something? :)

It’s unavailable again, and it is the weekend again, which is either a coincidence or a relevant diagnostic…

But Joshua I’m wondering if the “all ports” build you’re initiating is just too much for the new Mavericks buildbot to handle all at once and it’s bringing down the rest of the system — before the December 1 outage, the build had been running non-stop for 8 days; I don’t know how far it got in that time. Or possibly one specific port is causing the problem, and it just takes awhile to reach it.

During the build, none of the archives that are being built are being uploaded to the packages server; it’s crummy to have an archive built but then not uploaded and made available to users until over a week later.

Instead of building all ports, maybe we could have the buildbot build smaller subsets of ports. That way the packages would be available to users sooner. Can we use normal port selectors with the buildbot? For example, only ports with names beginning with letter a (“name:^a”), or only ports in category python (“category:python”).

We could even just let the Mavericks buildbot run normally for awhile, building ports that are getting changed, and see if it survives a weekend that way.