build.macports.org unavailable again

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Dec 9 23:34:02 PST 2013

On Dec 8, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-12-8 00:46 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2013, at 17:01, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>> It’s unavailable again, and it is the weekend again, which is either a coincidence or a relevant diagnostic…
>>
>> But Joshua I’m wondering if the “all ports” build you’re initiating is just too much for the new Mavericks buildbot to handle all at once and it’s bringing down the rest of the system — before the December 1 outage, the build had been running non-stop for 8 days; I don’t know how far it got in that time. Or possibly one specific port is causing the problem, and it just takes awhile to reach it.
>
> It got further on the second run so I doubt it's a specific port. Ports
> that were already built are skipped, and ports that failed previously
> are skipped during 'all' runs unless the portfile has been modified since.
>
> The buildmaster went down, not just the slave. (Again, there is no
> "Mavericks buildbot", there is a Mavericks buildslave.) It hadn't got to
> uploading any files yet so the only effect the slave could have on the
> master is via log files and status reporting. The log is big, but it
> seems unlikely it would be dumb enough to try to load the whole thing
> into memory at once. We never had problems previously with logs from
> full runs that would have been bigger than the partial runs here.

Actually, IIRC, buildbot does do some memory-only storage like that. We can try throwing more memory at the master to accommodate. Perhaps Mavericks for whatever reason generates more log lines? Or adding Mavericks logs to the existing set of logs always being processed has put us past a tipping point?

-Bill