Archive vs. local build selection (10.8.5, XCode 5.0.2)

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Tue Dec 17 15:08:04 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2013, at 08:28, Eric A. Borisch wrote:
>
> > This ticket https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41836 describes an issue
> where (apparently, I don't have a matching system to test) 10.8.5 and XCode
> 5.0.2 are installed.
> >
> > The user installed (I'm guessing from buildbot archive) mpich-default,
> which wraps /usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2. In the setup mentioned, this doesn't
> exist. (Which is why I'm saying it came from the archive rather than a
> local build -- mpich wraps the compiler it was built with.)
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to fix this? What version of Xcode (esp. clang) is
> on the 10.8 buildbot?
> > llvm-gcc-4.2 gets used if clang is blacklisted:
> >
> > < from the Portfile>
> > # Linker for Apple clang version 421.11.66 segfaults
> > # See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36654#comment:9
> > compiler.blacklist-append   {clang >= 421.11.66 < 425.0.24}
> > </Portfile>
>
> Evidently the 10.8 buildbot has a version of Xcode that has a version of
> clang in that build number range.
>
> I guess the user should rebuild mpich-default from source (the “-s”) flag,
> or not use mpich-default. Ports that hardcode compilers discovered at build
> time are considered a bug, so you’re on your own since that bug appears to
> be your intention with this port.

Well, MPICH provides compiler wrappers (in addition to libraries.) Kinda
hard to be a compiler wrapper without naming the compiler. :)

I had the user rebuild from source already, and that proved to fix the
issue -- we have nailed down what is happening.

Perhaps it would be best if I mark the port as not binary distributable. Or
I could as a post-activate check that would alert the user if the embedded
compiler doesn't exist on the system. Decisions, decisions.

 - Eric