Deleting bittorent, py24-dsv, spe

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Dec 25 02:18:34 PST 2013

Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone opposes the removal of bittorrent. It
seems to be broken for a long time already
(https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32197,
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37028), it's abandoned both in
MacPorts and upstream and would become increasingly painful to
maintain due to dependency on "obsolete" wxWidgets 2.8.

Two other similar projects that I would like to nominate for removal
would be py24-dsv and spe, even though they might not be as critical
as bittorrent.

The sole fact that either nobody requested py-dsv to be upgraded to,
say, py27-dsv speaks for itself.

One of the latest relevant commits for the other port, "spe", seems to
be from 2010-09-11, saying "spe: use python26 (requested in IRC)"
(http://trac.macports.org/changeset/71400). Facts are as follows:
- last release in February 2008
- last SVN commit in August 2008
(http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/python/spe/trunk/_spe/)
- nobody requested support for Python 2.7 in MacPorts, but last
request for Python 2.6 support came in September 2010
- no open tickets (other than my own to resolve the situation with
different flavours of wxPython)
- it will become a pain to maintain given that it depends on wxPython
2.8, but at least it probably works at the moment (I didn't try)

If these three ports get removed, I believe there is hope that all
other dependents of wxPython 2.8 get upgraded to version 3.0 in
future, or at least none of the other packages are as abandoned as
these three are (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40333).

Mojca