installing .pkg files on freebsd

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 29 12:54:34 PST 2013

On Dec 29, 2013, at 14:10, Jonathan Moore <quicksort33 at live.com> wrote:

> How or what port do I need to install .pkg files on Freebsd

.pkg files are installed using Apple’s /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app GUI program or /usr/sbin/installer command line program, both included with OS X. The GUI is clearly written using Cocoa and could not run on non-OS X systems. I don’t know if the command-line portion is open source or if it could run on non-OS X systems. But even if it could, it probably wouldn’t help, because most .pkg files are used to distribute pre-compiled OS X software, which would not run on non-OS X systems.