Build dependency on cctools?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 8 07:56:39 PST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 03:47, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> I'm currently writing a portfile for re-alpine. I have cctools installed, so re-alpine's configure script picks up cctools' nm and ar, and its build process calls cctools' ar and ranlib.
>
> Is it advisable in this case to declare a build dependency (probably a bin-style one) on cctools? I wouldn't think twice about doing so, except that I can't find any other ports that bother to do this.

ar and ranlib and the like are utilities most ports use to compile, and they're expected to be provided by Xcode's command line tools, so we don't declare dependencies on them, just like we don't declare dependencies on gcc, sed, awk, grep, gawk, etc. cctools happens to provide (newer versions of?) the same software, so I'd only declare a dependency on it if the versions Xcode provides are too old.