RFC: Support for future compilers in base

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Feb 15 01:58:45 PST 2013

On 2013-02-15 09:10, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> I'd like to update base trunk such that future versions of clang, dragonegg, and gcc "just work", so we don't need to wait for newer versions of base to depend on newer compilers.
>
> I've taken a first pass at portconfigure.tcl and here is a patch.  Comments?  Concerns?

Fine with me.

This change makes sense as the features supported by the gcc and clang
compilers shipped in ports are almost homogenous at the moment; in the
past there were differences as not all gcc4* shipped gfortran or gcj.
However, I don't expect the situation to change in the near future.

One minor stylistic comment, when using regexp and you don't care about
the whole match, it's convention in the Tcl community to use -> as
variable name:

 regexp {macports-clang-(.*)\.(.*)} ${configure.compiler} -> major minor

Rainer