[103464] trunk/dports/math/atlas/Portfile

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Tue Feb 26 23:53:28 PST 2013

Ryan,

On 27 févr. 2013, at 06:25, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> The build machine is not necessarily the same as the machine that will end up running the code, especially since we have buildbots that make binary packages.

True, but there is no PPC buildbot AFAIK, and that’s the only case of mono-processor Apple machines; even the first x86 machines were CoreDuo based, if I’m not mistaken. We already have debated about Atlas – personally, I think the best solution would be to disable binary download altogether, since the code is so closely tied to the underlying hardware. It doesn’t make sense to use code built for another CPU because it can be under- or over-optimized.

> This should be selectable by variant. There should be two mutually-conflicting variants, and which one is default should be selected based on your check above. The buildbots are multiprocessor so they will build the multiprocessor version; if a user has a single CPU then they'll build that on their own machine.

The threaded version of Atlas won’t build on mono-processor machines because OpenMP denies the creating of threads and Atlas raises an assertion. So the choice if somehow forced. Besides, on multicore machines, both serial and threaded version are built…

Vincent