Making +gcc47 the default variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 28 00:28:11 PST 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 13:32, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> What do folks think about changing the default compiler variant to +gcc47?

My understanding is that this should be fine!

The wiki says:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#gcc

> Another reason to want compiler variants is if the software installs a library, or uses a library built with a different gcc. Subtle and difficult-to-find errors can occur if a library and the program using it are not both compiled with the same compiler.
>
> So on the one hand, all such ports should default to using a particular common version of gcc; the version we are currently using as the default version in MacPorts is gcc45. On the other hand, a user may want to use a different gcc version.

But this warning dates from when each gcc4x port was using its own version of libstdcxx. Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia fixed that awhile ago so that all the gcc4x ports except gcc48 use the same libstdcxx, so if I understand correctly, that should mean it's fine to mix and match gcc versions less than 4.8. Don't know what will happen once 4.8 becomes a stable version.