Where to include port version in 'port pkg' output?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 11:09:30 PST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 12:53, Blair Zajac wrote:
> On 1/3/13 10:33 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> On 2013-1-4 05:22 , Blair Zajac wrote:
>>> BTW, it appears that packages built on older Mac OS X releases do have
>>> the package version number.
>>
>> Yeah, on <= 10.5 we build bundle packages which use an Info.plist that
>> we write (portpkg::write_info_plist). Flat packages don't use Info.plist.
>>
>> BTW, you can still build bundle packages on later OS versions by setting
>> package.flat=no.
>
> Do I want to do that?  What advantages are there to setting package.flat=no?

The advantage is apparently that you get an accurate version number, until we figure out how to put those into the flat packages as well.

The disadvantage is that you get a package that is not a single file. Single files can be downloaded easily from web servers, while older bundle-style packages are actually directories which have to be zipped or put on a disk image to be distribute that way.

Flat single-file packages did not exist until Snow Leopard IIRC; MacPorts will default to using flat packages on Snow Leopard and newer, and bundle packages on Leopard and older.