Where to include port version in 'port pkg' output?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Jan 5 14:46:17 PST 2013

On 01/05/2013 02:21 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2013, at 10:16pm, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2013 02:12 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> That might be so, but i don't see an alternative. Macports might itself treat the epoch and revision as different things to the package version, which of course they are, but third parties cannot really be expected to understand such nuances. In this case the pkg's created need a single version number I think, so the version constructed for them have to include the epoch and revision numbers, if the system is to properly support changes in them. I don't think this situation is that different to rpm/deb packages on Linux systems, which usually do something very similar, combining the native package version with other versionings.
>>>
>>> Using _ in the pkg version seems a good idea, as long as they are properly understood, by systems like munki for instance ?
>>
>> Munki uses the interval version number in the .pkg or .mpkg, it doesn't care about the filename.  Given that, I would still rather see consistently named filenames.
>
> Yes, thats what I mean. Would it properly understand a version like 0_3.2.1_0 (and understand that 1_3.2.0_0 was newer) ?

A 1_3.2.0_0 style version number won't work with Apple's version number,
which can only accept digits, so I do the following:

   v = "${epoch}.${version}.${revision}

   # Convert anything besides a period and number to a period.

   # Replace multiple periods with a single period.

   # Trim trailing periods.

So for scala2.10's 2.10.0-RC5 release with epoch 0 and revision 2, it
becomes 0.2.10.0.5.2.  I don't know if Apple knows how to handle more
than 3 integers, but according to the Munki people, they support this
and will install an updated version.

Blair