Unified Python portgroup (Ryan Schmidt)

Ryan Stonecipher RMStonecipher at macports.org
Thu Jan 10 19:59:21 PST 2013

> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:21:56 -0600
> From: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
> Subject: Re: Unified Python portgroup
>
> There are other nuances of unified ports. The best documentation is to
> read existing ports using the portgroup?there are tons of them.

Many ports written in the differing styles of several maintainers are not
documentation.
While MacPorts' base source has syntax and even comments, portgroup
definitions are not light reading.
I have a deep appreciation for those of you who invest significant time and
effort into improving MacPorts and in doing so know exactly where to find
answers to obscure questions.
Some Portfile authors and maintainers such as myself want to contribute to
the project but lack the dedication and/or time to be familiar with
intricacies of base or to parse others' ports for educational purposes.

The "best" documentation this project has by leaps and bounds is the
MacPorts Guide.
If someone familiar with the unified python Portgroup would take the time
to update section 5.9.5 of the Guide, I am confident this -dev list would
have a lot less noise about misuse or failure to use an
obscurely-documented Portgroup.

RMStonecipher