filetype in modeline (was: Re: [101588] trunk/dports/devel/pcre/Portfile)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jan 14 05:43:18 PST 2013

On 2013-01-14 13:20, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
> But I like mpvim! :(

I agree, I also prefer mpvim for editing Portfiles. Specifying
filetype=tcl in the modeline overrides the syntax and compiler settings
provides by mpvim [1] and falls back to plain Tcl syntax highlighting,
which does not recognize our Tcl extensions and does not provide the
functionality to run 'port lint' using the :make command within vim.

What I could do about it would be that vim installed from MacPorts would
recognize Portfile as filetype=tcl by default. This could then be
overridden by installing mpvim and no filetype= setting would be
required in Portfiles as long as vim from MacPorts is used.

Is there any other editor that understands and uses filetype=tcl in the
modeline and would loose functionality by removal? Emacs?

Rainer

[1] https://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/mpvim/